rharv,

Both school systems that my kids have been in have pay-to-play policies in effect for sports AND band and any other extracurricular activity - which cover a good deal of the equipment on the sports side, but not on the band side. Fortunately, my senior is a tuba player and the school needs them so bad that the school provides the instrument during the year.

Football, different story. Same fee - but basically all he got was a 'crummy t-shirt'.

I come from a long line of public school teachers - I was the first to break the chain, becoming an engineer instead. When my dad was threatened with a lawsuit for grabbing a kid - after the kid yanked a handful of my dad's hair of my dad's head - I knew that teaching wasn't for me. I teach adults quite often, but sorry on the public school teacher front - not going there. Not enough pay for so much grief.

Unfortunately, I think my opinion is rather consistent with those that have made the same decision. I say 'unfortunately' because the quality of education is only as good as the quality of folks that choose to enter the field; big list of inspiring teacher movies notwithstanding.