Robert - there's really not a big demand for this because soft synths rule the roost in the recording world these days. The computers are way more powerful than necessary to make this a reality.

I'm guessing Roland doesn't sell a whole bunch of those devices.

Another much more expensive option, but is truly a one box solution is to buy one of the workstation keyboards that has the whole audio interface built in, a PC built in with access to all of the soft synths you need, etc.

I haven't recorded the sound of a hardware synthesizer to disk in over 6 or 7 years. No need. I have way better sounds at my fingertips in soft synths for nearly zero financial outlay than my hardware synth; an Ensoniq VFX SD.

Most DAW software works with these very very nicely; with some elbow grease. Less grease than hauling them all over the place and maintaining them. Seriously. ASIO is what makes this a reality.

ASIO can be problematic, but most interfaces and recording software crossed the bridge to functioning ASIO many many moons ago. This isn't to say there aren't issues now and then, but truly working ASIO became part of my stable of tools in the mid 2000's, and I would never, ever want to go back. No way, no how.

Once your brain makes the jump that you don't have to have a dedicated hardware synth, to get synth sounds, you will drink the Kool-Aid and join. It's o.k. to do so.

In fact, it's getting to the point that what you seek is available with an iPad and some very clever interfaces for the iPad. I know Alesis just dropped an announcement a week or so ago. http://www.alesis.com/iodock

See that - no hardware synth and definitely some GM midi synth is available for the iPad is already out there. I haven't looked, I'm just sure that this happened probably long ago. But General Midi is not what you hear with today's songs. You are hearing immense sample playback synths/samplers, dedicated software synths that mimic old-school electromechanical keyboards and synthesizers etc. Guitar amps are very often amp simulation, in the box.

So, while Roland is making it, I doubt there will be many copycats simply because of the dominance of soft synths and the available computing horsepower in today's multi-thread processors.

I realize that I am in the minority here in PG world, but that is simply because most that post here SEEM to still be using MME, because PG products still are dodgy with ASIO.

This is not the case in the rest of DAW software world.

This doesn't mean I don't like hardware synths and keyboards. I really do - I lust for a Nord Stage like you wouldn't believe, or a Roland V-Combo to a lesser extent - but I can't afford it with 4 kids, the mortgage, a minivan with 181,000+ miles on it, etc. However I can crank away some very authentic B3 and Rhodes and Minimoog sounds way better than most dedicated hardware synths and it cost me exactly zero dollars. The VB3 emulation I won in a songwriting contest, the rhodes in a different contest, and the Minimoog sounds have come from the freebie MinimogueVA softsynth. It simply rocks.

Drums, fuhgetaboutit in a hardware box. All the kids are using EZDrummer or Jamstix, etc. on their computers. Many times you don't even know they are programmed drums. Have a listen to Dimitar Nalbantov's stuff for some great progressive rock drum programming on Youtube. Here's a tasty one just to get the feel for what EZDrummer can do in the hands of a talented home-recordist and ridiculously good instrumental rock guitar player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCbxeO32Nj4&NR=1

Because the computing power of an iPhone or iPad or certainly many laptops currently provide a flexible solution to your 'magic button' you just will not likely see companies clamoring for an all-in-one standalone box.

-Scott

Last edited by rockstar_not; 08/31/11 08:51 PM.