Many years ago, when I was between bands, I took up a bit of taxi cab driving in Fort Lauderdale, Florida (USA). It was easy, you simply rent the cab for the day, and get to keep any profits after the cab rent/mileage/gas fee. It didn't make a lot of money, but it was a day-by-day gig, so as soon as we got the new band together with about 40 songs for gigging, I could just not show up in the morning for a cab rent.

One day I was sitting on Las Olas Boulevard when a tourist (I suspect German) came up to me and said "Alawennis" (like AL - a - WHEN - iss, but one word). I couldn't for the life of me figure out where he wanted to go. He simply repeated it louder and louder, alawennis.

I got out the road map and placed it between us and had him help me find it. After a bit he pointed to one of the isles in the "Venice Of America" section of Ft. L called "The Isle Of Venice". So I questioned him, "Do you want to go to the Isle Of Venice?" and he enthusiastically replied, "Yes, yes, allawennis, allawennis!"

Problem solved. I enjoyed our encounter very much and was happy to help the old gentleman out.

Also in the same job, I got a call to pick up some people at a residence and take them to the Miami International Airport. A very good fare from Fort Lauderdale. I was also informed that the people speak no English but only Spanish. There are people in the office who speak Spanish, but at the time I only spoke some baby talk Spanish -- not enough to converse with anyone.

So I get to the house, we load all their luggage, and they tell me, "Miami airport, International (Eenternational), Pan Am". I repeat, "Si, Miami airport, eenternational), Pan Am".

It's a half hour to 45 minute drive, and they are speaking Spanish among themselves, and every now and then, direct their voice to me and say "Miami airport, eenternational, Pan Am" and I would try to reassure them, "Si, Miami airport, eenternational), Pan Am"

Since we couldn't speak to one another, they were understandably a little concerned about whether I knew where to take them or not. After all, they had a flight to catch.

At the time, as soon as you get from one of the cross-town expressways that take you to the airport, the hangar for the now defunct National Airlines was right in front of the road with a gigantic sign on the roof, "NATIONAL AIRLINES", at this time, in a very worried voice, one of my passengers said, "Miami Airport EEEEEEEEnternational", and I repeated, "Se, Miami airport, eenternational), Pan Am"

When I dropped them off at the Pan Am gate, and they spoke some Spanish to the Sky Cap they were obviously relieved, and grateful to me for taking them to the right place. With tons of "Thank You" and "Muchas Gracias" they paid the fair and gave me a nice tip.

I don't mind them butchering our difficult language, but try my best to communicate with them. I've been to a few foreign countries where I don't know the language, and use a phrase book to butcher their language, and people have always been as kind to me as I try to be to our own tourists and immigrants.

Back in the 80s, I worked on a cruise ship that docked in Cozumel Mexico once a week. I would take the ferry boat to Playa Del Carmen on the mainland. This was before it was developed, with only one, small two story hotel in the hamlet. One day I walked in the lobby and asked the desk clerk the way to the bathroom, "¿Donde esta el bano?". She proceeded to give me directions in Spanish which I did not understand at all. She obviously saw the confused look on my face because she immediately repeated in English, "Go across the lobby, out the door, over the bridge across the pond and turn right" (or something like that, it was a long time ago). I gave her a big smile and a "Muchas Gracias" and went to answer nature's call.

I remember my grandparents. They spoke very broken English, and my grandmother never learned to read or write in English, although she was fluent in Italian.

As an adult, I'm trying to learn some Spanish, and as an adult, trying to learn a second language, I can appreciate just how difficult it is.

Tenjooberrymuds

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks