This is a very funny topic. But it's not only non-English speakers that have problems, it can be difficult even from an English speaking country.
Having spent quite a bit of time in both the UK & the US, I came unstuck a few times with fairly simple expressions. On my first visit to the US we were ordering our meal, and I ordered an entree. Here in Oz, an entree is your first course - you call them starters - followed by a main course. Subsequently I ate a lot of food!!

Another funny thing relates to the pouch that travellers wear around their waists - we call them "bum bags", but the American term relates to a completely different part of the (female) anatomy.

No offence intended here:
An American tourist was visiting London England, and checked into his hotel. He said to the clerk "Which way to the elevators?"
The typically British clerk said politely " Sir, the LIFTS are down the hall and to your left"
The American replied "Lifts? they're not lifts, they're elevators. Heck we should know, we Americans invented the elevator"
Again politely the clerk responded "Yes sir, I believe you did. But we English invented the language."

Cheers,
Keith