I partially agree with you. The 255 limit shouldn't be on any modern program, but unfortunately it's not the only aspect of BIAB that show that the core program hasn't changed on many, many years. Long Filenames, a standard feature since the introduction of Windows95 16 years ago, is only self-implemented on BIAB (*,sty files have a 8-character limit, for example), as is drag&drop, another standard feature from Windows95 that it's not supported on BIAB (try to configure, for example, the Stylepicker Window to show the styles the way you like and you'll know what I mean). The same problem affects to the program's interface (btw, I'm not refereing to the way the program looks, but to its ease of usability): over the years the programmers added a lot of new features, but since the program's core hasn't change very much, and the interface was never completely redesigned, the result is a bloated interface that show many inconsistences, like, for example, the different way that the old "Soloist" feature (only availiable on the Soloist track) and the new "Soloist Realtracks" (availiable on any track, but conceptually identical to the first one) works.

That said, I keep buying, if I can afford it, all program updates and new Realtracks. Why? Because, simply said, you're not going to find any other program designed to create backing tracks that can offer the incredible quality, versatility and realism that BIAB is known for. Realtracks, introduced with BIAB 2008, were a real major step on the evoution on the program, and from then I like to think on BIAB as a great collection of great musicians always ready to play any chord progression you write to them. The greatness of the program resides on its incredible rich (and growing) musical database, and the basic concept of the program (just write the chords and obtain and instant professional backing track in the style you choose) is still great.

So, even with its (sometimes irritating) faults, the program is a pleasure for musicians, and I continue to buying and recommend it. My advice: learn it, use it and enjoy it, while you wait for a greater, easier, more modern version that would produce the same incredible results with much less effort and frustration.

BIAB 2024, latest build.