Quote:

I can only speak for what I know. Septic systems are suppose to perk 'up', not leach down. It can leach down to a water table 150' from the well just as easily.

I've only been in Public Health for 30 years so its nice to be educated by someone who really knows. Septic systems are designed to perculate down into the soil so that by the time effuent from the tank reach the water table, all of the bacteria are left in the soil and the water reaching the water table is pure. The problem with the well, is the fool who drills in a manner that allows the effluent to run straight down to the water table without perculating through the soil.

I've actually written local codes in Mobile, AL, and the process is one of taking the international standards and adapting them. Local code officials can agree to strike anything from the code that has not already been proven to be a health and safety hazard. Absolutely surreal hearing your story about the Fire Chief because the International Code Council had to change some of their voting rules this past year because the firefighters were running bus loads of people to the code meeting to vote in things they wanted. Last year they pushed through a code that required all buildings, including private homes to have sprinkler systems.

I'll also say that at least in this jurisdiction, we sit down with all of the players (homebuilders, plumbers, septic tank installers, etc) and get them to bless off on code changes before we submit them for adoption to the County Commission and City Council.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti