This is not the bank, it's the IRS and it's been on the books for at least 25 years. I could say where have you been but I won't. Much.

It mainly for money laundering by drug dealers and anybody else who does illegal activities for cash. Any cash amount over 10K has to be reported on IRS Form 8300 or the bank is in deep crap. This is not just banks, it's any business who accepts cash payments in one lump sum over 10K. Including you as a home builder/remodeling guy which is why I'm surprised you don't know about it. Someone pays you that much in cash and it's not disclosed you could go to jail. The IRS insists on detailed records so the money can be traced in an audit. I used to manage a new car dealership in the mid 80's and this came up all the time. Some super sharp mob guy comes in with 75 grand in a money clip and wants a new Bimmer. Nope. Those guys had to switch to shady wholesalers who work the auctions and the cash can be more easily hidden but even then the auction is a business and subject to the same rules.

Here's the form and as you can see, it's very detailed.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8300.pdf

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.