It's a separate midi channel BUT It's somehow tied to the Soloist track even though it's on a different midi channel.Open a song that doesn't have any RTs on the Soloist track and you'll hear the output chords. Now mute the soloist track and they'll turn off. This was fine in the midi days but now for some reason if you have any RTs, as you do, on the soloist track it also disables midi output from the "output Chords" feature. This is a real killer.Because of this there is no work around except not using the Soloist track for any RTs and to me that's not an option at all.
Now there might be a work around but I don't have what I need to test this.
The melody track is capable of having 16 different midi parts on it all assigned to 16 different midi channels.I'm guess that you only use the midi part on the melody channel so that you have the notation to read. If you could get a keyborard or some other way generate the chords on that melody track as well set to channel 9 then that would drive the VLT.Set the volume to 1 as the VLT only needs the note data. This way you won't hear the chords. There may be a way to auto generate this part as well.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php