Thanks for the ideas. I've been on vacation at a friends house for 2 months so I'll wait to get home to my normal setup.
At home all I have is dial up so shutting off the Firewall is not an issue. The only reason to setup the network between my Internet computer and my music computer is to allow files I've downloaded to be transferred to the music computer. I also want to share the printer.
I really need to get a book first and study up on networking before I get into this discussion deeper.
I use PC Tools Firewall Plus.
Now for the sake of discussion. The wireless LAN is 128 bit WEP encrypted. Not likely that a lurker will get in. If in the Firewall I allow all traffic from the "Trusted Zone" I should then be able to connect the 2 computers. If I take the computer with the Firewall to the library and connect to their unsecured network any attacks from the internet should still be blocked.
These statements are mostly questions. Trying to learn. Ideally it's best to have the whole network protected behind a hardware Firewall.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php