Quote:

Brallan,

Thanks so much! As to my mellow harmonies, I guess the secret is age. I'm getting old! But seriously, I layer my background vocals. In this song there are 4 part harmonies, and each part was recorded 3 times each. So there are 12 tracks of just background vocals. I don't copy and paste them, I actually sing them individually. I usually just one-take each part - I don't worry if I'm a little off on some of the tracks (only a little of, though). That way, when mixed, it gives it a little more of a real choir sound. Hopefully this answers your question.

Wow, that is heroic effort, and it pays off.

Apropos of this, and a couple of other recent threads which discuss singing and pitch-shifting and stuff, I think your approach nicely illustrates that the best way, maybe the only way, to come up with good singing is to practice, practice, etc. Over and over, and doing background vocals is a sure way of "tuning" the instrument.

There has been some recent commentary against software manipulation of voice, and I agree that it should be avoided, or at least used judiciously, but not for moral reasons, but simply because it takes away the practice effort.

Brad -- My FAWM