Quote:

never thought MIDI was of no use. It's great for lighting and triggering pyrotechnics. Many act use synth access axes in the studio and it is used on virtually all boards for live sound too.

Of course, we meant musically useful, but I had forgotten about other applications. I think another language/protocol has been developed for lighting though due to the occasional latency with MIDI and the need for ultrafast response from lasers and multiple other high-speed lighting instruments.

Note that, even though Synth Access instruments are labeled as MIDI, they aren't, repeat are not. They may indirectly produce MIDI output through a converter such as the new Roland VG-99, but all that is generated from the pickup is trigger, pitch, and dynamics--no MIDI data whatsoever. I bought my VG-88 thinking that I had pitch-to-MIDI capability, but the MIDI ports on the unit are for control only.

I've been out of live sound for so long I have never used MIDI there. Do you mean for control of effects or other automation? Please say more.

Signed,

Interested

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."