The big difference between Aebersold and Biab is the Aebersold players know what song they're doing so the chord changes and transitions are much smoother and more coherent than the Biab parts are. That's good but the bad part is you're stuck with just that one version.

I just pulled up Lament from my Biab Real Book one directory and used the BalFred RT style. It's pretty close to your youtube recording except for the piano part. The piano in your recording is considerably more fluid because of course the player knows what song it is ahead of time while Miles Black has to play generic stuff that could fit all kinds of changes. In spite of that the Biab version sounds pretty darn good right out of the box so to speak. I haven't tweaked it at all. You say you're fairly familiar with Biab but do you know you can mix and match those RT's any way you want? You're not limited to what any given style gives you. You can pick a different ballad bass to go with that piano or use a midi piano instead of the RT one. You might want the B3 ballad organ instead of the piano too. That would change the whole feel of it. I've found that a midi part can be better than an RT one in some cases but I have very good synths. If you're using a cheesy synth then the midi piano won't sound so hot.

All these choices is why, to me at least, Biab is a better way to go. You can do Lament in about 10 different ways using styles and then grabbing different parts within any style. You could do a pretty cool version using some of the modern smooth jazz styles too.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.