I keep several of the smaller "student" or "entry" level amps around for the casual get-together of friends with electric/electronic instruments. Most were obtained via Thrift shops, Garage Sales and the like, a couple were resurrected from the dead by yours truly after someone managed to do something catastrophic to the little things, such as blowing outputs or the power supply. Crates and little Peaveys mostly. One little Peavey is suppposed to be a beginner's Bass amp and works well with plank basses and even keyboards for this purpose. None break the bank, keep your eyes open for deals. After having to move from the big house to the apartment, these little things do the job well enough -- and make it a lot harder for me and my rowdy friends to break the lease on a Saturday night. Another of the little Peavey amps, a guitar amp with one XLR mic input and an 8" speaker, also has provision for an internal 7AH lead acid gelcell battery. The little Crates are rather good sounding guitar amps as well, for the money and small size.

You don't always have to buy new equipment to have fun and get the job done...

--Mac