Quote:

Agreed - as long as he doesn't plug in the powered speaker outputs of the Yamaha to the inputs of his active main speakers.

While not a good idea to do, Ohm's law can tell us why this situation is not an instant kill of the following stage(s).

A Transformerless Power Output amp capable of delivering say, 100W into 8 ohm load, when connected to the Line Input of another power amp, which has a much higher input impedance than 8 ohms, Line Level inputs typically being from about 2,000 ohms to about 10,000 ohms impedance depending on design, Watts = EI or I*I*R (I squared R) or E2/R, we can see that the big bad power amp cannot develop enough wattage to instantly damage the input to the power amp. Of course, if one were to ABUSE that input by turning the power knob up on the first amp, eventually something is going to fail.

It is not a great idea to try this stunt at home, then, folks. Keep Speaker power to unpowered speakers and only introduce properly labeled Line Level inputs to your power amps.

--Mac