Normalize is not the end-all.

It simply boosts the loudest part of a song to a specified level (0db or -3db are common).

So take two songs, song A has a couple of very loud peaks and song B has a pretty consistent volume with no loud peaks.

Normalize both.

Song A will have the loud peaks boosted to the ceiling while the rest of the song might be 6db lower than the peaks.

Song B will have the not so loud peaks boosted to the ceiling while the rest of the song might be only 1db lower than the peaks.

The net result will be the bulk of song A will be 5db lower than song B and it will not sound nearly as loud.

And that's the problem with the normalize function.

To get around that you might try Power Tracks Pro Audio. It has a function where you can boost the volume of song A in the example above without running the peaks through the ceiling (I assume it has some kind of peak limiter/compression factor in the routine).

You have to use your ears a lot. That's one reason why mastering engineers can charge the big bucks that they do

I have over 500 songs that I've done myself. When I learn a new one, I try to match the volumes as best as I can with my ears in my home studio. However, when I get on the gig and do it for the first time the backing track might still be a little low or loud, so I tweak it a bit and try again the next night. Usually it's right the first or second time, 3 tries is uncommon and the most it has ever taken me is 5 tries.

If all this was easy, people wouldn't pay me to have so much fun at their party!!!

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks