Thanks for the responses. Yes, I've been watching the videos by dfizzbom and will watch a few more today. But, okay, so I take it that some folk must not be pleased enough with RealBand to use it for recording and opt for "Reaper" instead. If I might ask WHY? Easier to use? More things to tinker with? I'm a newbie and haven't recorded ANYTHING through the computer yet but will soon (I just purchased my Line 6 UX1 interface and got it installed) so I'm just wondering as I'm almost ready to do so. (I already have tons of songs to work on and record). Anyhow, I've been to the "Reaper" website (just read it more carefully) and, apparently, the "discount license" can be obtained for $60. (I was thinking it was gonna cost $299):

"$225: full commercial license. $60: discounted license. You may use the discounted license if any of the following is true: You are an individual, using REAPER only for personal use. You are an individual or business, using REAPER for commercial use, and the yearly gross revenue does not exceed USD $20,000. You are an educational or non-profit organization."

Guess I'll go for it.