Okay, off the anti Van Halen rant.... and back to topic.

Karaoke meaning "empty orchestra", I would say that by literal definition that any live performing constitutes "live". How many shows have you seen lately where there wasn't sweetening tracks mixed in from the board, or a keyboard player under the stage? It also is usually for wannabe types to sing over background music when they get drunk enough to be goaded into getting on stage. I don't consider a viable performer using backing tracks to be karaoke.

At the local level, the iPod band member came out of necessity due to club owners being increasingly and incredibly cheap. Makes me sad to think back 20 years and see the difference here where you'd expect music would always be a major presence. The bands that DO play are all either tribute, motown or classic rock. I go to see a classic rock act on rare occasion, mainly to visit with my friends who play in them, but I rarely stay beyond one set. The motown acts typically get the country club/wedding kind of gigs, and that isn't my scene. Plus I was in an amazing motown band in the early 90s and it's rough to hear pretenders play what we did better. Tribute bands - I wouldn't cross the street to pee on a tribute band if they were on fire. Also factor in that there are no more "music clubs" here. Bands play at restaurants now, and setup is at 7:30 for a 9pm start time, ohm and keep it down because people are still eating.

So we have a lot of solo acts with backing tracks. Most of them make their own tracks. Some cheat and buy them. That second group is usually singers who do not play and are not able to make tracks, so they get a free pass. (Remember how many people think using Real Band is cheating.)

Want to know the saddest part of all the truths I described above? (Pay attention 90db.)

"Here"...... is Cleveland Ohio. Home of that Hall of Fame you spoke of.

The scene here is now reduced to rubble in comparison to the 80s and 90s. There is the art house goon clique who play at coffee shops for 3 people who would prefer it was quiet. There is also the songwriting clique who have their songwriting shows. (Those are enjoyable because normally the music has to be original.) However, it's the same handful of people who perform and attend, and if you aren't in the clique, you can't get a slot. The metalheads have some clubs but that music is boring if you don't ride a Harley and wear a headband. (We don't have to wear helmets here.) Neighborhood joints have duo and trio acts because they don't pay enough to draw bigger bands, and they can't fit enough people to sell enough beer to pay 5 or 6 pieces.

I miss the days when money wasn't the way to keep score.....

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.