Talking about DJ's 7 or 8 years ago a good friend booked a New Years gig at a small place as a duo with a sax player. He's a good singer and uses midi files. He got sick and called me to sub for him and I don't sing. He said he's really stuck, everybody's booked, it's New Years so what could I do, with a lot of trepidation I took it. He gave me his disc's with the midi's on them along with an ancient Yamaha file player he uses. At that time I had never used midi's on stage before. The sax player is just a good player he has less stage presence than I do. As we're doing the gig with no vocals I'm playing some keyboard parts with the midi files and the show was definitely missing something so I decided the heck with this and grabbed a mic and started DJing the thing. I stepped in front of my keyboard then got back for a solo, then back out front again. I had no clue what I was doing just going with the flow with stuff like Play That Funky Music, that Conga song by Miami Sound Machine and a bunch of other disco type dance tunes. I started getting into it because the crowd was digging it. All I did was stuff I heard other DJ's do both live and on the radio, making comments about someone's foxy wife,"better not leave her alone, I've got a van outside" with a big laugh, that kind of thing and I talked some of the words to some songs but certainly didn't try to actually sing anything. In all honesty it went over great and everybody had fun including me and the sax player. I've never done anything like that since probably because I didn't have to but it's kinda cool to know I pulled it off. I see the appeal of a DJ, all people need is to see someone leading the party. They could care less about vocals.

This was New Years, everybody's primed for the biggest party of the year, I would never try that in a regular Friday night club or a restaurant dinner setting.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.