Definitely not you John. It's the people who write these things in the program.

It's been suggested many times over the years that the help files need a sort of beta test where all us usual suspects rewrite this stuff so non nerds can understand it. "Mapping to a device". Who the heck uses that term except a pure techie? I'll bet if you were to ask 100 very experienced users what that means and to write a description of it maybe 5 could. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is 2. Mac and Rharv It's just a major pet peeve of mine because it's completely unnessary.

Help balloon: Having latency problems? Check this, this and this in that order until it's fixed. That's it, who cares what's it's really doing in the background. So it's no longer mapping to some device. Wonderful, I don't need to know that and neither does 99% of the users out there.

There can be another checkbox for the advanced addendum using all the latest undergrad technical terms for those who just have to know what's really happening in excruciating detail. It says: Check here for the 487 page technical manual. The section on latency problems would say something like if you're having problems with unauthorized mapping of device 004.45598XX.EE6792462 due to hardware incompatabilities caused by using the Texas Instruments audio chip TXA01134-18 in conjuction with the MAudio driver version 433.6.03 blah, blah, blah etc then try this.

For the rest of us, check these 3 boxes in order until the problem goes away. If that doesn't work try the combinations. There's only 9. If that doesn't work, switch to Sonar...

On a more serious note, the software could throw a code that we may not understand but one call to Support and they could then tell us exactly what the problem is and how to fix it. Sort of like the fault codes on any modern cars' diagnostic computer. The Mercedes forum has members who understand all those codes and that helps if you're having a problem with your car.

Am I starting to sound like a Luddite?

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.