Rachael

I like the Hot Spot mounted right on the mic stand. A few times outdoors, or at the beach, there could have been something with a little more oomph but it worked.

A lot of the posts here stress being heard above the noise no matter what. I know that was not the original question. I would like to politely suggest that the nature of the gig be considered. Many performers have forgotten what it is like to be in the audience. I have been a sound man for 10 years and we get a lot of feedback. NPI

My voice does not carry. Projection lessons might be in order. If the entertainment is so loud that I have to get in someones ear just to be heard then I will just shut up, be polite and listen. Not that I am interested in the performer but that competing is not worth it.

Are you the show? Are people there to see you? Then crank it up.

Are people there to visit with friends in a pleasant atmosphere? Are you just the "Entertainment Provided"? Then be reasonable. If you were hired to provide background music then be the background. Provide a level where people who are paying attention can move closer and folks that want to chat can move to the back. During the break ask the host or manager and provide them with your reading of the crowd.

Here is what I go by. Are the chairs facing you? Let em have it. Are the chairs arranged around a table? Then show a little moderation until the audience turns their chairs of their own accord.

In many strict songwriter venues the audience will actually "shussh" the chatty ones around them so the performer can really be listened to at a moderate level.

Cheers - to having more chairs turned your way!

Dave G
Mi•Band - Home