First, I'm not a Bose or a Yamaha representative but I've spent a bit of time recently looking into my first PA for solo and group giging and I've found a product that I think solves this exact problem you're having.

I'm taking the advice of others here and at other forums and I'll be buying the Bose portable PA. I'm leaning more toward the model II with tonematch engine over the model 1, although it certainly isn't as cheap as other brands/models (or the model 1 for that matter), but it's a different animal -- it's not designed the same as other PA's (check it out at http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop...match_pkg.jsp).

The model-1 system is cheaper but the model 2 has some features I couldn't (didn't want to) live without. The model-1 is actually on sale right now direct from Bose and you end up getting the first bass unit for free (up until 6/30/2010). Check it out at http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop...single_pkg.jsp.

I mention this to you because I've tested it live and this I've found the Bose to be a totally unique PA in that it's actually designed to be placed behind you (not in front of you) and without feedback. You can, but you do not need to have any monitors since you're hearing the same thing your audience is hearing (you're hearing it before they do and hence, your crowd noise isn't a problem anymore). Also, anything you'd want to adjust (including a one-touch sound effects feature) can be done on the spot using the T1 (tonematch) panel and this can either be mounted directly on the speaker unit or alternatively on a mic stand.

Aside from the fact it's portable and I'll be able to port it around myself, it's everything I need for a solo act or even a small ensemble (and again, it's positioned behind me, not out front). They also offer additional bass modules (both models come with one but you can add up to four and they recommend two or more for bass guitars, drums, etc.).

I have seen documentation from Bose which shows a typical band usage where they use one L1 setup for each instrument / section (one for piano and bass, one for drums / percussion, one for bass guitar, one for lead guitar, etc.) and each unit is placed near (but behind) each musician. However, unless each musician in your group is willing to shell out his/her own cash for their own unit, this in my opinion would be cost prohibitive -- although for me, it doesn't matter what 'group' I'm gigging with, nevertheless I'll have my own system and I won't even need an engineer as I can instantly hear and process my own performance independent of the group (although it does provide the capability to patch if you do have a sound guy/gal on a separate board).

You can get more details for the model-1 and see some more reviews here:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bose-L1-Model-II-System?sku=600095

BTW based on my comparisons, I will be buying the Bose over another 'portable', the Yamaha STAGEPAS 500 Portable PA system. I did test the Yamaha and although it was impressive, it doesn't have near the clarity or features that the Bose does and the Bose can always be upgraded to suite your needs.

There's seems to be lots of argument between Bose and Yamaha people about their choice of PA system, but one of the reasons I chose the Bose is the ability to play 'out front' which I feel could potentially eliminate the problem you're experiencing. There have been arguments that the Yamaha (designed the same as most others), does cover low frequency better than the Bose, but having tested both brands I can attest that this is not necessarily true, as the Bose does provide for expansion by simply adding more bass units.

Ike