For what it is worth . . . . . The following information is from my website, please keep in mind that for the most part it is directed to Activity Directors in Retirement Communitles as they often have issues with one or more entertainer's music volume. However my experiences have taught me that no matter where the gig in most cases you can still breakdown your audiences into these three categories.

To avoid any pit falls in executing a successful event make sure you and your entertainment are on the same page when it comes to just what is expected from your act at each particular event, and music volume is a very intricate part of this equation.

Over the years I have come to learn that most party-goers can be broken down into the three categories which are listed below. I have also included what experience has taught me is a pretty accurate description of what each categoery expects from the entertainment at a cocktail party or dance.

Social Visitors: They like to hear the music in the background, but still be able to hold their personal conversations at normal speaking volume over the music. They expect the music to enhance the mood of their visit and conversation, period. They are usually the first to let you know when the music is “too loud”.

Listeners: They like to listen to the music in its entirety at a comfortable listening volume. They are usually into the music and will hold their conversations in-between tunes on breaks. This group very seldom complains about music volume, that is unless it is ”really loud” although they have been known to complain about loud conversations around them. However most of the time they will just find a seat closer to the performer or band to better hear the music or see the act.

Dancers: They not only like to hear the music, they like to feel it as well. So while the volume for this group maybe acceptable for the “Listeners” as well it may be a bit too loud for the “Social Visitor”. This group will be the first to fill the tables closest to the band and dance floor. If this group complains about the music “being too loud”, it is too loud!

When booking entertainment, besides checking out references and past reviews, always let them know up-front what you expect in the way of genre selection and volume. But at “party time” try to keep in mind that with the exception of dinner and small venue cocktail parties, most parties will be made up of all three-category partygoers listed above. So your function, “on it’s own” may very well take on a different mood than what you intended. With this said any professional performer worth their salt will err on the side of lower volume at the start of the performance and will adjust volume accordingly based upon audience and the booking agent’s feedback and response. And by response I don’t necessarily mean a “stage visit” from anyone in particular, all though don’t rule that out as I have heard some acts that just blew my ear drums out. What I mean is that by monitoring the general reaction and response of the crowd as the party goes along, the professional entertainer should know how and when to adjust his/her volume.

So don’t be alarmed if you get one or two guest who complains about music volume while you have the majority of your guest listening and/or dancing. That is unless that complaining guest is paying the bills then you can throw these rules out of the window!