Quote:

I don't think you will hear complaints about the current system of licensing venues from musicians who earn a substantial part of their living from playing live music. Most of the complaints that I read or hear about are from folks wanting to break into the business on the cheap. Although I understand the sentiment, I don't think it helps the profession to enable venues to put out product just to see if it works. Someone who wants to cut corners on license fees is also going to want to cut corners on paying the talent. That means either good talent not getting paid a living wage or bad talent that is willing to work for cut rate prices. Neither is good for working musicians or the reputaiton of live music.

I don't mean that as a slam on anyone because I'm not familiar with anyone's music on here. The way to get jobs in the live music industry is going to the venues that are licensed an convincing them you are good enough to attract new. or at least help them maintain their current customers.

Okay, ... this is original. ... I'll ponder it before I respond. I don't wanna jump the gun on this one. Especially since it was triggered off another post where a forum member was trying to raise money for abused animals on a bowling alley gig.

The question I'll have the think about the most is should John be able to sing "Proud Mary" at a bowling alley in order to raise money for abused and neglected animals? Especially with all of the "pins" falling!

That's a tough question.