That Kickstarter article is very interesting but did you read the blog posts below it? She quote "already had a massive following" before this project and is married to Neil Gaiman a successful author. She talks on her own blog about years of free gigs, sleeping on the floor at friends houses, online networking, "cloud crowds" to build up the fan base prior to using Kickstarter.

Nothing really new here, it's the usual music biz thing with a new twist, that's all. First, marry well or have rich parents. People have been doing free gigs and sleeping in vans on the side of the road since oh, forever and then a very few will make it, the rest hitch hike home broke and disheartened.

I was watching the new Law and Order a few months ago and Jeff Goldblum who is a very good pianist, is the cop tracking down a wannabe musician killer. The scene is in a small underground NY club where the guy is doing a free show and goes over well and gets nice applause. Goldblum walks up to him and says "good job they really liked you." Then he says this:

"Do you really think you're going to make it? Any idea how many people graduate from music schools all over the world each year? About 50,000 and how many make it to the top worldwide each year? Maybe 5 or 10. 50,000 chasing 10 jobs. Watch this."

He then goes up on stage to the keyboard and plays a nice jazzy blues riff, goes into a quick 8 bar solo and then to a nice ending with a big flourish. The crowd gives him the same ovation they gave the kid. Goldblum walks over to him and says "And I'm a cop."

I remember that dialog exactly because it hits me so close to home. Been there.

Unfortunately, and I really hate to say this, that level of musicianship and talent isn't just a dime a dozen it's more like a penny a hundred. Especially here in LA but I suspect it's the same in any big city.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.