Quote:

However, lately, I've been absolutely loving what the kids call dubstep, even though what passes for that term today doesn't match it's namesake music. I don't care, it's today's version of synthesizer music with lots of playful and creative use of filter sweeps, stacked synth layers, etc. Makes my brain come to life. Quite a bit of odd-time sequences played over even time signatures. One could even call it experimental, but it's popular.

Very interesting Scott, you just solved a small mystery for me. I've been following a thread on the Kurz forum about their highly anticipated ROM expansion chip for the PC3. Supposed to have been released the beginning is this year but it's been delayed. They posted some demos of it and one of them caused several people to rave about it calling it dubstep style and they can't wait to get their hands on it. I had no clue what they were talking about. I just Googled dubstep and found a site with a bunch of acts on it. One is called Modestep. The one song I listened to sounds like a cross between strong techno dance your ass off rhythms and the soundtrack from Transformers. Lots of sound effects with synth sweeps, growls and stuff. Kind of interesting actually. Don't see myself playing it but I can see the appeal and I certainly see the creativity there too. Somebody actually has to sit there and figure all those sounds out and how to put them together.

This is probably the wrong place for this but just for you Scott, here's the demo and this isn't just a collection of sounds, it's an actual playable Setup the the user can easily change up and save:

http://soundcloud.com/dave-weiser/thessia

Dave Weiser is in R&D and is internet face of Kurzweil.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.