Quote:

JJJ you can definitely do it, because I've done it. We have all the tools in RB already. Pitch shift for one. Just expand the audio edit window, get familiar with what a note looks like as a waveform and start slicing it up. When you do that you will get pops and clicks if you don't know all about cross fade looping. But, and it's a very big but, you lose the live phrasing the original player put into that RT. All your doing is taking one note out of a bigger file. Oh wait, that sounds familiar doesn't it? Yeah, I hit a key on my Kurzweil and what do I hear? One note. That's called a synth. Oh wow, <Face palm>...damn that idea sounded so cool.

Just having some fun John. What you're hearing is the quality of the recording like the RT Sax soloist for example. You listen to the sax patch on a basic synth like the Coyote Wavetable and it sounds like crap. The sax's on my Kurz however sound great. A good synth uses high quality one note recordings done in a studio by top players just like the RT's. The very best ones with tons of memory use one recording per note so a sampled piano has 88 separate recordings per velocity layer and the good ones have multiple layers so you do the math. That takes a whole lot of memory. Cheaper synths may only have one or two layers for a given patch and they pitch shift one note to cover 3 or 4 keys so they only need maybe 30 recordings per layer, that requires much less memory which equals a cheaper keyboard or PC to play it. You get what you pay for with different synths.

This is the big deal with the new Supertracks btw. With a good synth, a midi Supertrack can definitely rival an RT in quality.

Bob

maybe I just haven't heard the right system but everything I've heard so far that was not RealTrack sounds like the circus just got to town!

Last edited by JohnJohnJohn; 09/18/12 04:05 PM.