Kevin, I agree. And the end result is in the eye of the beholder, or as we might say, in the ear of the B flat. Most, as in the average Joe, could not tell a 10 cent organ from a 400 dollar sample. In fact they might like the cheap one.

There used to be a woman who played locally and she had a terrible organ. It was beyond junk. Yet content rules in Canada say that a percentage of all air time has to be Canuck. OK. But my Mom and Dad loved her, and she played stuff they knew, like old Nat King Cole songs. Her drum machine was just the pits as we say. Awful. Yet Mom would say if only you could play like that. Geez.

I know for a fact that the guy sitting next to you can't tell the Strat (whatever that really is) from the front fender of your Chev. Great. So on we go. Guys mess with midi and this and that ad naseum.

In reality, get on with it. I just want to hear music. Layers of sound is ok I guess. But just a nice bass, a good comp, and me on top works fine. No need to get too fancy. When my wife plays the flute or a keyboard with me, I play the 3rd below or whatever is called for. Stay out of the way. If we get serious I arrange it a bit, with some notes on what to do, or NOT to do. And some simple stuff like an up arrow and 8va etc to ensure she does not get surprised by an upcoming Bflat on the flute where it won't go.

Alas. (poor Yorik)!!!

I'm holding the numb skull at this point, gazing into the eye sockets....

Where's Oh feel ya.??

John Conley
Musica est vita