Hi Eddie,

It's sounds as though you are where I was a couple of years ago. I had some gear,VSTs (EQs,Compressors etc) but no real idea how to use them properly. I'd just turn knobs until it sounded ok. ( in other words, I was clueless)

Bob is right,I too needed to start studying and learn how and when to use these things so I started reading and bookmarking tons of articles on mixing etc.

I dug out the Multi Tracks that came with my PowerTracks program and started putting my new found knowledge to work, experimenting, burning CDs and playing them on everything in the house. I went and bought a cheap CD player and listened to several versions of the same mix trying to improve my listening skills.

I have a long, long way to go to, I'm still learning and making mistakes, it's going to take years to build experience.

I found this site that has a lot of really useful info to read. You might find it a helpful start. I did a screen save of their instrument frequency chart that I keep beside the computer.

http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/index.php

My most recent study led me to join an online recording school not as a student attending classes but to build up a collection of instructional videos of actual mixing techniques being done by professionals. To me they are worth every cent. I have a better understanding now at least.

Keep asking questions and study. Good luck!

yjoh

[i]Music...a joy for life.