Eddie,

I had an ESQ-1. I also still have a VFX-SD, although non-functional at present. The organ sounds in the ESQ-1 are really pretty crummy, even compared to the lowliest of Casio keyboards you can buy at Guitar Sinner these days for just over $100. The organs on the WK-200 (or whatever it's current model number is) run laps and circles around the ESQ-1 sounds. I just checked, it's the WK-225. I bought the WK-200 on a Black-Friday sale at Guitar Center for right around $120 in 2011. Guessing a similar deal is available coming up this Black Friday. I should really make some recordings with it and post them. They are great sound generating keyboards (keybed leaves something to be desired - my fave is still my VFX-SD keybed).

That was the point Mac was trying to make. That Tremelo pedal must be great to get one to think Leslie, using the ESQ-1 sounds as a starting point.

Here's a challenge for you: Visit GSi's website and download the freeware Organized Trio VSTi.

It will honestly rock your socks off for both genuine drawbar/tonewheel organ sound as well as for it's built-in leslie effect. It's free. Did I mention that it's free, as in it costs nothing?

I will make it really easy on you - here's the link. http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=37

In that .zip file are also 3 great electric piano simulations which are way better than most sample based electric pianos, a stand-alone leslie effect called Mr. Donald (guess what Mr. Leslie's first name is), etc. This one download may be your favorite download of freeware/donationware ever. I am entirely serious about that claim. Let's put it this way, these VSTi are what made me a believer in play-through of VSTi being something I will never ever give up. They also are probably what made me go entirely 'in the box' for sound sources - until this year.

For home recording purposes, these VSTi and VST will kill the ESQ-1/tremelo effect. Trust me on this - I'm one of the few on this forum who rocked the ESQ-1 for years, cassette tape data I/O and all.

I know you are an Ensoniq man - as I am, or was I should say. I vouch that you will become part of the GSi following if you simply give them a run through. In order to appreciate them, you will need to be using ASIO with low latency so that there is no perceptible lag.

I've since become owner of a few of GSi's pay-for VSTi due to winning some monthly song contests at www.kvraudio.com and choosing GSi plugins as the rewards. I have VB3 and Mr. Ray 73 Mk II as a result. I can vouch that the freeware/donationware products are just as usable, though a little more taxing on the CPU.

Anyhow, I'm guessing you'll bulldog the hardware solution anyways for the fun of it. Just be aware that the software side is a much more authentic sound that you might be overlooking.

Oh, the latest axe that I bought just about a month ago (first synth I bought since the VFX-SD in 1989) - is a Casio XW-P1 because of it's tonewheel organ simulation on-board. One big disappointment, is the overdrive effect is unusable. It's a great pristine condition B3 emulation, run clean - but I'm either gonna have to wait for a firmware update for the overdrive, or go external, as what's on-board is really disappointing. The box that lots of folks are coupling with the XW-P1 to compensate for the overdrive is the Neo Ventilator. Since I only paid about $420 for the XW-P1, I won't be buying this pedal, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QQ4EimOoYo&feature=related

At about 3:25 in the video he demonstrates the tube drive effect in the Ventilator pedal.

Anyway the GSi Organized Trio will make wide smiles appear on your face - almost guaranteed. You should be able to assign whatever kind of control you feel like to make the leslie speed change. I like to make the footswitch control switch between fast and slow speeds.

-Scott