Mac,

Quote:

If someone cannot read this sentence because they have never been taught how to read, they would be. for all intents and purposes, functionally illiterate as concerns reading English.

I suppose that situation would be an "arrogant" statement as well?

No, … it wouldn’t. For the written word, the ability to read is the only defining factor.

For musical literacy, I just think there’s a lot more involved than just the ability to sight read. I would place more emphasis on the command of your instrument, understanding scales, chords, arpeggios, modes, progressions, general theory and the ability to communicate verbally in musical terms to other musicians as being more of a determining factor.

I just can’t imagine looking at a couple of my pickin’ buddies who are still winning or placing in every guitar contest they enter, (and have been for 20 plus years), and telling them they’re “musically illiterate” just because they can’t sight read. Saying that to them would not only be arrogant but also incorrect.

The ability to sight read standard notation is a fantastic skill to have and would definitely be a must for a professional musician, …especially studio musicians. Also for most any other instrument. Joe was specifically talking about guitar, (and other fretted stringed instruments).

For the record, I can read music but I can’t sight read. The only time I had any real use for it was when I spent about a year learning a little piano so I could help my son with his lessons. It soon became obvious he didn’t need my help so I gave it up since it was killing the tendonitis in my right wrist.