We are all at different levels, but I find it interesting to learn from the approach of others - what they do.

So I thought it might be useful to simply create a post for 'what you are currently using BIAB for".

I have been playing keys for about five years. My chief interest is improvisation. I am not so worried about learning other peoples tunes.

A few months back I decided to really lick the chords and scales thing. So I took the blues form and learnt every 7th chord so that I could put a chord down in any inversion anytime, then run scale fragments - like root to fifth up and down - anytime. I then took this through all keys until I could jump in like this anytime. I also worked the blues scale over the changes. It took months of work.
I then went to the minor blues took some simple changes ditto as above, then introduced some minor 2/5/1's using minor seven flat fives and altererd chords. E.g. Cm7b5, F7alt.

This is where I am currently, working these changes throug So I thought it might be useful to simply create a post for 'what you are currently using BIAB for ?". h my fingers. Because the fifth is either sharped or flattened, it threw my brain a little - reprogramming time

One thing I have just started doing (and should have done before maybe) is 'voice leading'. For a while I was stuck on how to convernt all my standard chord change excercises into actual playing, then I realised an exercise which was a 'revelation' to me:

If I kept my right hand shapes within the confines of C to next octave C and just substituted what inversion fitted (so for example a F# triad would be in second inversion) the chord inversions begin to 'sound right'. I dont mean you cant go outside of the self imposed octave, I just mean its a great place to start and the exercise imposes a discipline that helps transverse the rubicon from exercises to scales.

Anyways, thats what I am up to at my current level, not top of the impro mountain yet.

Future? Same thing with Rhythm changes perhaps...

What are you up to?

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k