I was waiting for him to come back but maybe not. I think what he's talking about is beat slicing or beat mapping a Real Drum track. I know Cubase, ProTools and other DAW's do that but not sure about S1, I still haven't had time to get into it yet.

Anyway if you beat slice a drum track you create a second midi track based on those beats, you then assign individual drums and layer those midi parts with those RD beats. It's still not converting a RD track to midi but as Tom says you can layer say a hot midi kick to hit right with a RD kick for example and achieve some control that way but you're not changing the basic beat.

Otherwise the only way to convert a RD track to midi is to have your best friend the drummer and midi expert transcribe the whole performance on his midi drum kit and then record it. And don't forget to feed him lots of pizza and beer because he'll be awhile.

My point earlier is Biab already has a whole library of live midi drum tracks. They have a symbol in front of them that I can't remember now but you can indentify which ones were recorded live.

The mistake people make when they ask this question about Real Drums is they're fooled by the quality of them and think that somehow that will translate to midi. It won't. You could take the best, most perfectly transcribed RD track and play it through a killer drum module like Jamstix and it will still sound like midi because all the nuance that makes Real Drums "real" is lost in the translation. And if you just play it through a basic GM synth using a basic GM drum kit it will really sound weak.

Midi is simply not capable of recording all of that nuance and synth modules are not capable of playing it back. There have been rumors for years that Midi 2.0 is being worked on. Maybe then it would be possible but it's not here yet and may never be.

A good live recorded midi drum track can get fairly close with a good drum module and Biab already has quite a few of those hiding in different styles.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.