Originally Posted By: eddie1261
One of my best friends is west and south of OKC, very near Tinker, and due east of Moore where the brunt of the damage was. It ended up about 4 miles from there when it roped out. The Doppler data said it hit 308mph, well into f5. Can you imagine an hour on the ground? And from startup to f5 that fast?

Mac, I don't remember from my time at Fort Silly in Lawton OK, but I did have some friends at Altus. How far were you from Altus AFB?

Lotta years ago, ain't it? I got out of the Army in 73.

Really bad thing happened to me in Wichita Falls. I got married. But as Pat Metheny said, "As falls Wichita, so falls Wichita Falls."

IIRC Altus AFB was about an hour and half drive away from Sheppard AFB.

But I used to get there in just under one hour in my old Sunbeam Tiger. And truth be told, I was kinda slow compared to some of the yanker-bankers in their 'vettes and stuff.

Of course, that was only around twenty minutes by air.

FYI -- The Missile Club is still there, just outside Sheppard, although in yet another rebuilt building, The Missile Club has resurrected itself from every Tornado so far. That little dive is historic among airmen by now. burp

I actually used to lug my Fender Rhodes with the amp on the bottom down to the Missile Club and run the standards from time to time back then. Of course, "standards" there were no exactly the same tunes that were standard back east.

Lay yer head, on my shoulllllllder...

--Mac

Last edited by Mac; 05/21/13 07:47 AM.