Hi Everyone,

You know what would be really cool: If BIAB could expand the idea of slash chords to include not just slash notes but slash triads like C/Db(triad) or Cm/Bbm(triad). Two things to consider

(1) The above are very hip sounds without equivalents - at least it seems so at first glance - in BIAB.

(2) I've been convinced for ages (and it turns out that other Forum members have thought about it - see the thread on Polychords by Tonnie) that this generalized slash notation would take the fat out of chord names like Dbmaj13#9#11. A convincing example will be given below.

Evidently, this slash system has existed for years in even more general form and is part of conventional jazz education. Such extended notation - chord X/chord Y - shouldn't present great difficulties for MIDI implementation in BIAB.

Take my favorite chord: C13b9#9#11b13 - not really, I just made it up at random as a suitably grotesque example. Needless to say, it is not in BIAB's chord list. However, rewritten as chord X /Chord Y where X = Ab (major triad) and Y = Gbm7, it becomes Ab/Gbm7. If you were an improviser, which notation would you prefer to see?

Let's check it on the piano. With the left hand play the inversion Db E Gb A for the slash chord Gbm7 and the inversion C Eb Ab in the right. Actually, you can use any inversions you like.

Listen to that killer chord. Now it's a fave!

Reading from left to right, we have Db E Gb A C Eb Ab, which in the key of C works out to

b9 3 #11 13 ROOT #9 b13.

The fifth and dominant seventh are suppressed. The bassist can play any of these notes, but C, Gb and Ab seem like preferred choices.

I ask PG to seriously consider the idea for MIDI implementation and other Forum members to give support.

Aleck Rand

Sweetwater Creation Station. BIAB 2018, Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio, Izotope Nektar 2, Ozone 8, KEYBOARDS: Kurzweil Artis 7, Crumar MOJO, Hammond XK-3, BASSES (fretted & fretless by Ibanez, LTD, Warwick. GUITARS by Guild, Gretsch, Ibanez, Eastwood (12 string)