Almost any FX or tool can be misused, and many are.

I use the normalize when I need it and really do not look at it like its a "sledgehammer or a chisel" It's more of a linear amplifier as opposed to being a compressor. It keeps the dynamics in proper relation, which a compressor does not do.

You have to view the wave, certainly, and if there are any "abnormal" spikes, you have to tame them in some manner or normalize will use that spike as it's measuring stick and the result may be that it does nothing at all to the wave in it's processing.

That is something you should be looking at anyway, regardless.

Normalize is simply another tool for you to use. The important thing is, to learn to use it properly and in the right place and measure and it will give you amazing results.

I have been in the "normalize or not normalize" discussion on other DAW forums, and some people love it, some people hate it. I say learn what it does and you decide if you want to use it or not. I have never had one single person, even the guys with the super critical ears, when listening to my music, make the comment that..."you normalized that guitar track didn't you? " or "wow, that normalization sure ruined that mix"...... nope... no one can tell me, when they hear one of my songs, which tracks, if any, or all, have been normalized.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.