Software synths are enticing, likely because we can collect so many for free or near free.

My experience, though, has been to move back to HARDWARE MIDI, especially for live performance.

Just too many things to keep track of when attempting to use PC plus various softwares, plus the Controller factors asked about in this thread IMO.

In my world, it is difficult enough for the keyboardist to keep track of the various Patches, Effects, changes, CCs, etc. and still have enough left over inside to actually PLAY THE MUSIC.

When gigging on guitar, I found that things get out of hand really quickly far too much of the time.

Would work out a lot better if the user of softwares, PC-driven synths, etc. had a GUITAR TECHNICIAN at every gig, whose only job would be to set up and run the synths, etc. as is done for the big concert guitarists, leaving them free to just play, the technician bringing up Patches, Effects, etc. as needed. But we can't have that in the local venues we are likely to be playing.

The Hardware MIDI synths still demand the ability to program them, store various "sets" - and recall them instantly onstage - but I find them to be well worth the investment.

One way to get both the synth AND the controller in one unit is for the aspiring MIDI guitarist to consider investing in a MIDI keyboard that has both. A 61 key job with MIDI Input, you could control any and all voices from your MIDI guitar setup but the advantages in live performance yields a much simpler set of commands and such to keep track of. CASIO makes some really great sounding 61 key boards at low pricepoints these days. And some of them even have a Mic or Line Audio input which can allow you to patch the standard magnetic pups through the DSP effects, as well.

My Roland GK pup, via the aging Roland Guitar synth, used only to convert the pup to MIDI, sounds awesome when patched into my shirt pocket sized Ketron SD2 MIDI synth, sold on this website. Responds to the foot buttons on the Roland Synth because it is GM compat, also works a treat for MIDI sounds with BiaB and Realband as well. Setup is a breeze and -- IT ALWAYS WORKS.

--Mac