If anyone else wants to donate some time to the vets, it's easy and personally rewarding. Here's what you do
  • Make sure you have a little material for the WWII and Korea vets and a lot for the Nam vets, as is the age group that are mostly in the nursing home (we met two 90+ year old's who served in WWII)
  • Contact your local Elk's lodge. The Elk's have veterans service as one of their main interests. They can provide all the logistics and coordination - all you have to do is agree on the date and show up
  • Show up, play for an hour or so, have fun, and share a good day with some deserving people

It doesn't take a lot to spread the joy, and if you are like Leilani and I, you will get as much out of it as the vets do.

The first time I did this, I thought it would be depressing to play for a bunch of wheelchair-bound people. But I was completely wrong. Sitting on those chairs are some very interesting people -- people who might not have use of their legs, but have some very good brains in their heads. Talking with them after the show was great.

As a pro, I don't play for free for just anybody, and definitely not for someone who is making a profit on my performance.

But if I believe in the cause, and it isn't a profit-making venture, I am happy to donate some time. It's a good way to give a little back.

And serving those who served us just seems right.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks