Originally Posted By: bobcflatpicker
... I caught most of your set today and I really enjoyed the originals. Good work.

FWIW, I think it sounds better when the backing tracks are lower in volume so you can hear the performer actually playing instead of having bass and drums in your face.
It makes the performance more intimate and real, but that's just my opinion so YMMV.

Thanks for stopping by and listening. You make a good point there. However, I am mostly using backing tracks to increase my enjoyment of playing at StreetJelly (ha, ha). The better the headphone mix sounds, the more enjoyment I will have, The bottom line (for me) is that doing just the guitar/vocal thing for 30 or 40 minutes isn't that exciting. I won't adjust the mix that much -- just a little.

The funny thing is that I still lean more towards the purist point of view -- everything should be played live in a performance! But since I use BIAB in my recordings, I am definitely not a strict fundamentalist. ... and watching others at SJ use backing tracks (like JosieC, Pat, SilverTones and Lana) is making me more accepting of it. Maybe I am becoming less dogmatic as I get older -- isn't that the opposite of what it usually happens? (LOL!)

As JosieC does, I will be mixing in straight acoustic numbers along backing track numbers -- I think that will work best for me. I think the main difference between her backing tracks and mine is that hers really do an excellent job of supporting her singing and performance while mine seem to be a larger part of the actual song experience (if that makes any sense). I'll stop there now -- time to watch football and partake in legal adult beverages.

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud