Originally Posted By: Mac
I've heard that video and have read about what Bill had to say concerning his methodology or approach in books.

Here's what I think this great improvising pianist meant by that statement:

The "structure" of a song consists of those same things we must know when setting up a song inside Band in a Box:

The number of bars of the whole chorus in total.

The number of bars for any possible A section, B section, etc.

How many of those A, B, C, etc. sections there are in the chorus and their locations within one chorus.

The Melody.

To some certain extent, the feel of the original.

So in this instance, "structure" = "foundation".

--Mac

I was thinking about after this process. OK, one needs to know what chords go where, what the form is and the melody, but after this....?

Lets say you are learning some song and you know all of the above, its memorised. What is memorised? Yes the melody, but the chords still need voicing and the timing and tempo used to place those fingers just so, is what makes a song.

So, what I mean by working from a structure (leaving aside what Bill meant in this off the cuff remark), is getting some specific patterns of playing that are compatible with the chords, with suitable voicings and the like and using this structure as a springboard for your playing.

This way instead of plonking out those same old root position C7's whilst learning you start with more interesting material.

In my mind I am thinking this is a better way to go, find a 'structure' internalise that, then work of that for impro.

Guitarists do this all the time as the limitations of their instrument compels them to use voicings from day 1

Just discussing.... smile

Last edited by ZeroZero; 11/28/13 01:51 PM.

Win 11 64, Asus Rog Strix z390 mobo, 64 gig RAM, 8700k