Cool tune.... loved the island groove with the steel drums and the rhythms.

I didn't have a problem so much with the rhyme scheme. In a few places I didn't see the rhyme, but the lyrics worked OK and I'm not a stickler for having everything rhyme perfectly anyway.

My crits on this go to the singer's performance. Nothing essentially "wrong" with her voice or performance from that point of view however, I do think the vocal performance would have been greatly improved had this been in a different key. Essentially, this sounds like she is at the bottom of her vocal range. She is not in her "power range" where she sings effortlessly.

I have worked with several female singers over the years, I'm certainly not an expert on recording ladies voices, but I do know that with each one, we worked on finding the perfect key for their voice before we laid tracks.

This song sounds like it could easily come up several whole steps and it would then be in her natural range to the high side and she could but feeling into this tune more easily.

I know that when I write and record something that I sing, it has to be in the "correct and right" key for my voice. If not, it doesn't "work" and that translates through the music to the listeners.

Just my random thoughts.

Last edited by Guitarhacker; 12/14/13 06:59 AM.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.