miketm, Robh and anyone else interested in Cakewalk Music Creator, available from PG Music or Cakewalk

Cakewalk was recently purchased by Gibson and Cakewalk is being positioned as the flagship name for consumer products with Sonar as the flagship name of the professional grade products.

Cakewalk currently offers two Music Creator products: version 6 and Touch. Version 6 is available from both PG Music and Cakewalk (though you really have to hunt for it on Cakewalk's site) while Touch is available from Cakewalk.

Both versions utilize the Skylight GUI interface so workflow differs greatly from version 5 and below. Both use the 32 bit sound engine borrowed from Sonar.

Touch will not load onto a Win XP or below operating system. I have both version 6 and Touch (actually called version 6 Touch when it first came out and offered as a free upgrade to owners of version 6) and running the exe file results in an error message. Touch works on Win 7 and above while version 6 works with XP and Vista. Touchscreen capability is not needed to use Music Creator Touch.

Two enhancements made me decide to upgrade from version 5; the step sequencer and loop matrix. The step sequencer was rebuilt from the ground up and is now much easier for me to understand how to use it. As the name implies, loop matrix lets you put loops into a matrix so you can get a feel for (vertical) instruments blend together or (horizontal) how adjacent loops mesh.

I strongly advise anyone considering purchasing Music Creator 6 or Touch also consider purchasing the Groove3 Music Creator 6 video tutorials . For less than $50US can you purchase a DAW that complements PG Music products but also more than four hours of great video training on how to you this DAW in particular or any DAW in general.

Also, for those that may have purchased Music Creator from BestBuy in the past, they have dropped the product from their physical and online stores.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1111) RB (5) Ultra+ PAK
DAWs: Cakewalk by BandLab (CbB) - Standalone: Zoom MRS-8
Laptop: i3 Win 10, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Desktop: i7 Win 11, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home