Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
Relaxing during the playing is crucial. If you can do it at home but not in front of an audience, you are not relaxed in the stage scenario.

You must be keeping those muscles rigid as you play and even when you're not....

I don't think that's relevant in Joe's case.

He's an Old Trooper with more than his fair share of Performance, to include many a live TV presentation.

It was not a case of being too tense in my particular instance either, the cramps showed up only after that life-threatening experience with the flesh-munching bacteria, a month of surgical followed by several months of rehab. On top of all that, gotta consider the effect of the IV antibiotics, oral antibiotics, pain killers, and other meds. Something changed in the body.

And, in my case, the cramps did not just show up when performance was the issue, there were quite a few times when a leg cramp would just show up at some time or other, sleeping, driving, just sittin' somewhere in a chair and suddenly that thing that takes ALL of yer attention...

Happy to report that a bit more walking exercise, drinking lots of good pure water, about one cup every hour, plus intake of the aforementioned minerals and electrolytes put the issue to rest for me.

Before finding and implementing the above solutions, could just be seated behind the piano at a casual jazz gig or jam session - and suddenly, with no rhyme or reason, LEG CRAMP.

"Why be da pianist jumpin' up like dat?" wink

Ah'm walkin' it off, man, walkin' it off.

--Mac