I used to use the ear plugs that had the little capsules in them that shut down on loud levels.... they worked but were very uncomfortable over longer wear times. I think they are still in my guitar case.

I tend to use the foam "el-cheapo" plugs because they are comfortable to wear for hours at a time.... shooting guns, mowing the grass, etc... and they reduce the SPL quite nicely.

I also have a nice set of electronic headphones for shooting and hunting. Comfortable, easy to put on in a flash and remove as well.... they only block the stuff above their preset 85db (?) level, so normal speech gets through and you can even turn that up a bit.

I have also used my high quality sound reducing ear buds as ear plugs a time or two.... just pop them in and leave the music off. I used that the other day for blocking the sound of a circular saw in a small kitchen where I was cutting the floor out. Worked pretty nicely as they reduce the levels and are comfortable to wear.

I have a set of the foam plugs in my shooting bag and in my pockets at most times just in case.

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.