After reading through the thread, I thought I should clarify my perspective on BIAB, RB and Reaper because I didn't develop it too far in my original post.

As mentioned, I'm a Reaper user after having been a longtime Sonar/Cakewalk user. Reaper is fantastic for what I do and suits my requirements really well.

The above being said, Realband is a very important part of my workflow process. Realband's strength is that it seamlessly interfaces with BIAB files. This is invaluable for me. My workflow is below ...

What I do in BIAB

1. Create a song

2. Enter melodic notation and note-based lyrics.

3. Try out different styles and settle on one that, in the greater scheme of things, is a good, general fit for what I hear in my head.

4. Run the song through many keys and tempos and find which key and tempo suits the song's mood the best.

5. Adjust the melody to accommodate the new key and to fit my vocal range.

Now I move to Realband

6. Try out many Realtracks - soloist, background and rhythm - and see which suit the song.

7. Use Multiriff to generate multiple instances of the finally selected Realtracks.

8. Take all the dry tracks to Reaper (including all multiple generations from using Multiriff).

In Reaper

9. Add reverb, delay, EQ, etc., and create a balanced background stereo mix.

10. Loop record 8 x vocal tracks back to back. I've found that recording one after the other helps unify the vocal sound.

11. Comp a master vocal track by selecting the best bits from the individual tracks. Tune any out-of-tune notes on the master vocal track using Reatune set to manual mode.

12. Comp any master instrumental tracks from those generated by Multiriff.

13. Isolate pairs of tracks in the master mix and listen for any audio conflicts. Use copy and paste to eliminate any such conflicts.

14. From the Multiriff generated tracks, look for melodic fragments that can be used for fill-ins and for hooks.

15. Save a dry, tuned version of the master vocal track.

Back in Realband

16. Load the saved vocal track into Realband.

17. Use TC Helicon to generate harmonies for the vocal track based on the chords entered in the original BIAB file.

Back in Reaper

18. Add the vocal harmonies generated in Realband to the mix.

19. Trial-and-error playing around until my ears like what they hear.

While I do not use the DAW side of Realband all that much, it's ability to interface with BIAB files is of paramount importance to me. One of the best things I ever did was to take the time to learn how to drive Realband. It took me a couple of weeks but it was time well spent.

Best regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024