Quote:

Quote:

If GM could make a car that lasts five years without major problems, they wouldn't be in this mess.

And if they made cars the people actually wanted instead of trying to manipulate public tastes into what GM wanted them to buy.

That's just my opinion.

Notes

Bob, I will grant that they missed your segment. Missed it by a mile; or shall we say "missed it by about 15 mpg". But they also had a business goal in mind. Make money on every single model. It is a for profit company after all. It's not a benevolent charity.

Toyota still loses money on every single Prius that they make.

But you know what, it's advertising cost for them. It makes the public think that everything that they make is fuel efficient. That's a big 'ol pile of you know what. But their gamble worked.

The government wants all the cars to be Priuses. Well, we still build houses and things like that in this country. Lots of people still want trucks. GM offers fuel efficient trucks that can actually handle the hard work thrown at them.

Toyota - well, try looking up the Tundra tailgate deformation issue.

Again, swept under the rug by the general media.

Look to see who is still selling Sequoias, and then look to see what MPG they get versus the domestic competition.

About the union comment - For many years, this has not been the biggest thorn in the side of GM. I was a non-union salaried engineer for GM. If anyone would want to cast stones their way, it would be me. But I can vouch that looking at the contract that Rick Wagoner's team negotiated with the union in 2007, it made the GM/UAW contract cost competitive with non-union labor from the foreign makers.

You can look it up yourself.

Don't believe the senator's figures. They used very old information.

As for Rick Wagoner making 15 million/year - He probably should have volunteered to do the 1$ salary a year earlier.

Keep in mind that the economy, the inflow/outflow of money, of even just GM's full size truck program, was big enough to make it a Fortune 100 company all by itself. Shoot, it was a bigger economy than many countries of the world for that matter.

That's just for one vehicle line.

Folks in charge of stuff like that should get paid in kind, I would say.

I think he earned his keep pretty well. He was a sacrificial lamb. It's the bank CEOs and the lack of any regulation on the credit markets (congress), that have put the economy into this mess. Not one of them have required to leave. Hmm.

Last edited by rockstar_not; 06/04/09 06:16 AM.