The part that amuses me about the whole arguement was when an American friend who worked for Ford, where the company paid his health insurance and medical expenses like medications etc. told me that socialized medicine was a stupid thing. He could only go to certain doctors and hospitals, and everything was paid for.

Here, where they made universal health care a right, we have the same plan, but can go wherever we want. My doctor sees me either the same day or the next, and there are 3 walk in clinics within a few miles. It's not perfect, I have a minor cataract that bothers me if I drive at night, though I pass the night vision test. But in the US if I had the cash they'd fix it for sure. So when I get close I go on the list and it takes 2 or 3 months to get it done. But I don't pay. Any Canadian has the option to cross the border (have your passport), and buy any American health care they want.

The argument that poor people get whatever for free, but the problem is the illegal immigrants, is partly solved by the ID requirements for our health care. Photo ID card, and more and more integrated health care records would mean you could never go to the doctor. You have to have ID to get the ID.

I wish I was like my wife and father. Dad's 82 and never had an operation. Was sick for 2 years as a boy with shingles, but never missed a day's work from 17 to 72 when he retired. Never went to the doctor for over 30 years. My wife's only missed work to give birith, up to 30 years without a day off.

A friend of mine was supposed to have cataract surgery in Chicago, but was saving up the 4k required and worried he'd have to work to 70 because the other eye was going too.

John Conley
Musica est vita