Well, even if the comment was not from John, it was the kind of thing he was likely to say but I do not think his quips were anything other than the kind of humour that Brits used in those days. Certainly he did not intend to be cruel or hurtful as somebody suggested. Remember, it was the days of the Goons! Many countries outside of Britain would find some of that humour a bit difficult to understand - not all, but some. smile The American reaction to his comment "that the Beatles had become more popular than Jesus Christ" would be typical of how he was often misunderstood. That was just John and British humour. There was little consternation about the remark when originally published in the UK.

John happens to be a huge political hero of mine mainly for his (and Yoko's) one-couple peace movement, the bed-in, etc. "Give Peace A Chance!" Who can forget that? A wonderful epitaph for the man!

As to Ringo and his drum technique: He picked up on the important characteristics of the American Rock beat at an early stage in his playing and then put his own stamp on it. He was an extremely tight drummer and he really did "ROCK"! You only have to listen to how the other British drummers copied his style to realise how influential he was on the whole of the British music scene. You overseas types can call it the "British Invasion", if you like. smirk

Ringo was good, but only one person in this topic mentioned the best Rock drummer, in my opinion, who was Charlie Watt of the Stones. The Stones had the most screwed-down rhythm section ever! And still do! I think that had a lot to do with Charlie's previous jazz drumming and then his involvement with the early Rhythm and Blues bands (Alexis Korner); out of which style the Stones developed. I knew Charlie in the days when he was moving from the amateur jazz scene to more popular music. I used to sit-in with his jazz mates at the Kingsbury Arms hotel in North London. Later in life, I purchased and enjoyed the jazz recordings he made with his own band. He was still a member of the Stones, of course. He certainly used all he learned from jazz when playing with the Stones and his adaption of those skills to Stones-style Rock is certainly one of the important factors that makes that band so good.

Although I'll never forgive those guys for killing off our wonderful Trad Jazz Boom of the late 50's early 60's. grin wink

Grah Jive Talk
"Don't worry baby, they'll swing their arses off."