Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Originally Posted By: JohnJohnJohn
Originally Posted By: musiclover
Its my opinion that there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with playing for free as long as you don't think you are being taken advantage of.

I can't believe some of the comments here, where is the good natured intentions of doing something just because you want to and because you enjoy it? rather then being all wrapped up in getting a materialistic reward (and maybe you already being a millionaire but still preaching the sad, I'm just scraping by getting a living, some of us are able to read between the lines)

In Ireland there are lots of "sessions" where people just turn up at a pub to play traditional Irish music just because they love it, and no money exchanges hands. It may well be that the pub sells a lot of beer at those sessions but hey the musicians don't expect any money

Also the GAA here the Gaelic athletic Association have amateur status (Irish Football) where the players give their time and efforts for nothing just for the love of the game. Some of the matches at Irelands Croke park in Dublin are in front of 80,000 people plus and genenrate millions of pounds which is put back into the development of the association and to help and train young players. Yet all the palyers and officials give all their time for no monetary reward.

Its a sad sad world when people are only thinking of money all the time, especially when they are older folks that should know better.

You can't bring it with you when you go.

Play for free if you want to, its your choice and let no one make you feel guilty for doing so.

My thoughts
Musiclover

Very well said Musiclover! Most of us here in the US share your views too! Where I grew up it was (and still is today) quite common for folks to come together, on a porch or in a bar or wherever, and play for the pure enjoyment of it! And if someone thinks that is preventing them from getting paid for a gig they need to go look for a real job and stop blaming others for their problems! smile

So now you speak for 'most' of us, Bugsey? grin

A 'real job'? Like yours, perhaps? Neurosurgery? Nuclear Physics? grin

You elevate pathos to a new level. grin

why do you always resort to name-calling? I can certainly respond in kind as your "quips" are never really that clever. but it would be better to have a conversation without the name-calling, don't you think?