Quote:
As regards the generalisation that most sub standared musicians are the ones playing for free, then I say good luck to them.

Whoever said that we all have to be of a level of musicmanship before we are allowed to go in front of an audience. That it totally crazy!

Are the so called pro's (just wondering how many know of them beyond their local area anyway) only allowed to enjoy the clap or appreciation of an audience and the rest of us of a lessor standard should be locked away?

I don't think so.

So say we all! (otherwise known as Amen!)

I can understand folks like Notes and 90db being against performers taking paying gigs away from working musicians. What I don’t understand is ANYONE being against “open mic nights”.

Plain and simple, …it’s ridiculous to take that stance! 99% of the folks playing there are never going to be competing with professional players. They’re just wanting to play their music before a live audience and get some feedback.

For me, … I have NO interest whatsoever of listening to someone playing cover songs with backing tracks. I would much rather hear a solo artist play an original song in a mediocre manner than listen to a solid performance of someone playing tired old covers of hit songs from the past.

Let’s face it. If it’s a cover band with backing tracks at a club/restaurant, …no one is listening anyway. It’s just “background music”, … a close relative to elevator music!

If you can get someone to pay you for doing that, then more power to you!

But you can count me out as a listener.