Reading the performing for free thread made me think about this.

Is there an upper age limit for someone who has never gigged before who has built up a reasonable repertoire and wants to start gigging? I have heard a few say that on these forums, for example I'll start gigging when I retire.

As someone who only plays a little for enjoyment, my personal opinion is that starting to gig for the first time when you are in 50's or 60's is very very difficult.

I would imagine the stress involved and for most who contemplate this, it will never happen.

I also think that unless you are a seasoned performer with many hundreds of gigs behind you that really it’s a young person’s game.

I think for the older person trying to start out, gigging can be so intensive, and at an age when most should be taking it easy and watching the old heart, why would someone bring all the stresses upon themselves by doing this?

I have even read that some of the stars are so nervous, people like Lennon sometimes even threw up before he went on stage. I also think that among other things the total stress of going in concert again killed Michael Jackson.

Putting the odd song on youtube is good enough for me.

Musiclover

Last edited by musiclover; 05/28/14 08:02 AM.

Musiclover

My music https://www.youtube.com/user/donegalprideofall

Windows 10 (64bit) M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Band in a Box 2024, Cubase 13, Cakewalk and far too many VST plugins that I probably don't need or will ever use smile